Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cancer and Employment

I often attempt to research information about Hodgkin's Disease on the internet. Reading blogs and posts by others who have gone through similar problems as mine helps me learn about the disease and also reaffirms that I am not as alone as I think. Since I've recently gotten a job, I started researching information related to cancer and employment to see what I could find. What I found was that most, if not all, of my anxieties about disclosure of my disease and the effects it would have on my working ability--things I always thought about during job interviews--are legally covered under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). If I am eligible for a job and can complete the given job description, even if there is a need to modify working hours and breaks to attend to fatigue and the like, an employer may not discriminate against me because of cancer. And, yes, anyone diagnosed with cancer is considered disabled and protected under the DDA even after remission--quite the useful information.

No comments: